Know your Local Building Codes

2020-07-08T00:52:34-04:00 May 19th, 2020|

Carriers can often miss items or omit them due to lack of knowledge when it comes to what is required by your local building codes.  So many Contractors end up doing the required work for free because they don’t request the Carrier pay for these items or maybe the Contractor is unaware of what is allowed.

Ordinance or Law Coverage – coverage for loss caused by enforcement of ordinances or laws regulating construction and repair of damaged buildings. Standard Homeowners policies include a provision granting a limited amount of building ordinance coverage; this amount can be increased by endorsement. Also referred to as building ordinance coverage.

When an Insurance policy includes Ordinance and Law coverage, the Carrier is required to allow repairs to be performed to the building code requirements adopted by the city, county or state the property is located in. Items such as ice and water, drip edge, house wrap, flashings etc. can often be excluded from the Carriers estimate, yet Contractors are required to install or replace them.

Taking the time to research building codes, Manufacturer requirements, or asking your local Building Inspectors questions will pay dividends when requesting the Carrier to pay for what is owed.

Also, it is wise to review your personal policy to see if you have Ordinance or Law coverage included. Not having Ordinance or Law coverage could result in costly out of pocket expenses or could be the difference between a full replacement of a roof or siding and an unsightly repair. Reach out to your Insurance Agents to add this to your policy if you don’t already have it.

by Dana Langfeldt